Sunday, November 7, 2010

BP5_Google Video

In viewing web 2.0 tools that I may use in my classroom that most likely will not be blocked by my school site or in the district I found Google Video at http://video.google.com/Using Google Video fits in perfectly with our GPS Standard of using technology as a tool for reading, writing and conducting research. It also helps us to see videos since we are not allowed to make them unless it is for our district's TV Channel or when our students will receive an award and we know in advance that the event will have media coverage. Parents must sign authorization and I always mention that when publishing any of my students in-class videos as a disclaimer.

To integrate multimedia features my students love into videos or to construct Character Education lessons for them, I also wanted to explore Animoto and Go!Animate to use video and picture features for integration with multimedia and sound in iMovie videos that could be housed on other servers since we do not have large storage space on our teacher accounts or on classroom computers. We have a cleaning feature on class computers that could compromise the videos since it could get deleted. We also do not have any Macs in our schools and cannot upload videos from school so it is best to upload it where cross-platform plug-ins may be used and our videos are already rendered where we do not have access problems. 

However, the response time was too long for my account to activate on Animoto and GoAnimate is not free. So, that cripples me as a Title I classroom teacher with a $200 budget that has $60 remaining. I also like creating authentic products so I will look further and will revisit them as well as Photo Peach since they have my slide account blocked at school. Students in other AUT/MID/MoID/SID Multiple Disabilities Classes with photo permission only may use Photo Peach and we will make sure that the appropriate tags and referencing is placed on our video so it can be searched for and found on Google Video or uploaded to a Google Apps page such as this video on bullying located at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7955413805830376768#. We could also upload our own videos to my Viddler account and link it to Storify in our class paper and then test to see if we can find it on Google Video.

I like Google Video since my students only need to type in a topic to find videos and links they may immediately access that will be on their functional and grade placement levels. There are many types of videos from news sites and others on sites not blocked such as video.jug. This site has a test at the bottom of the video and a script so that my students may use their preferred multiple intelligence or all of them at once. They could also take a Bullying Quiz pre and post test online http://www.education.com/quiz/bullying-myths/?cid=55000.0067682003&s_kwcid=TC|8363|bullying||S|b|6321986335&gclid=CMbU9YXmj6UCFUPu7QodynDfMA , join campaigns against it and view information in many forms from experts such as Dr. Phil http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/04/earlyshow/living/parenting/main7021894.shtml.

No comments:

Post a Comment